Heigh Ho Bakelite Broadcasters,
No doubt about it, June was most certainly the month to swoon, spoon and croon a lover’s tune. And Greg Poppleton and the Bakelite Broadcasters were just the guys to do it. Here’s the lowdown…
JUNE – THE BIG PICTURE IN A NUTSHELL
1. Firstly, have you eyeballed Greg Poppleton and the Bakelite Broadcasters’ latest band video?
It’s a mix of 1920s and 1930s songs from the band’s 3 Bandcamp and iTunes albums, ‘Doin’ The Charleston, Sweet Sue, and The Phantom Dancer.
Do yourselves a favour and CHECK OUT THE YOUTUBE CLIP. It’s just passed 13 100 views already.
2. New Band Website. It’s leaner and keener. With band videos, photos, song lists, audio, reviews and wedding / corporate / party / government testimonials all on ONE GLOSSY PAGE. Enjoy! Visit Greg Poppleton and the Bakelite Broadcasters www.bakelitejazz.com
3. Bondi Pavilion, 18th June. Greg and Grahame Conlon sang the songs of the 1920s and 1930s to a happy soiree in the High Tide Room right next to Australia’s most iconic stretch of sand.
After I had sung and Grahame had played on guitar, ‘Tea For Two’ out came the tea and cake. If only that could happen at every Bakelite show.
4. Gin Mill Social, 20th June. FULL HOUSE AGAIN. It’s the 1920s at Slide on Oxford St when the Gin Mill Social comes to town.
Greg Poppleton and the Bakelite Broadcasters Triio, (Greg, 1920s vocals and megaphone. Geoff Power, trumpet and sousaphone, Paul Baker, banjo and top hat) get the speakeasy of 1920s cuisine and hooch, fan dancers, aerials, jugglers and tap dancers going with a high energy set of 1920s hits.
How that dance floor filled with dancers as we played The Charleston! We’ll be back there, 7pm Friday 25th July! Find out more and Tickets
5. Penrith RSL – Castle Lounge 28th June. Greg Poppleton and the Bakelite Broadcasters quartet play hot 1920s jazz and swinging 1930s movie and Broadway classics for romancing and dancing.
In the band: Greg Poppleton (1920s – 1930s vocals and megaphone), Grahame Conlon (g), Darcy Wright (db) and Bob Gillespie (d). The dance floor was full, the bistro was cooking, and the bar was friendly, as always.
And Anne from The Penrith Jazz Club came up to the stage with cake for the band straight after I sang ‘Tea For Two’. Thank you Anne!
It’s our fifth year at Penrith. We’ll tell you as soon as we know when we’ll be back there.
WHAT’S COMING UP IN JULY
Wow! July will be a busy month. More behind the scenes than on stage. Hope to have some great news to tell you in the coming months.
7pm 25th July. Gin Mill Social, 25th July. Book early. It’s the 1920s at Slide on Oxford St when the Gin Mill Social comes to town.
Greg Poppleton and the Bakelite Broadcasters Trio, (Greg, 1920s vocals and megaphone. Geoff Power, trumpet and sousaphone, Paul Baker, banjo and top hat) get the speakeasy of 1920s cuisine and hooch, fan dancers, aerials, jugglers and tap dancers going with a high energy set of 1920s hits.
My! How the dance floor fills with dancers when we play The Charleston. Second last show! Find out more and Tickets
Phantom Dancer Radio Show Live…
107.3 2SER Sydney: 12noon – 2pm, Tues. 1, 8, 15, 22, 29 July
ArtSoundFM Canberra: 7 – 8pm, Sun 6, 13, 20, 27 July
2RRR Ryde 88.5FM: 11am – 12noon, Thurs 3, 10, 17, 24, 31 July
Bookings – Weddings, Corporate Events, Birthday Parties and Anniversaries
We’d love to play1920s – 1930s hot jazz and swing especially for you. Talk to Tony to find out what we can do for you:
T: 02 9567 7171
M: 0407 941 263
Like Us On Facebook. Pretty pleeeeaze!!!!
Meet the 1920s Orchestra:
1920s Great Gatsby Orchestra – The Lounge Bar Lotharios www.sydney1920sjazzorchestra.com.au
Band Enquiries: email@example.com
See you at a show in July,